Sunday, March 16, 2014

2014 NaNoWriMo Pitchapalooza: vote for Shajar!

A few weeks ago I posted an early draft of my book pitch. After 10 more drafts and feedback from my writing partner and an incisive friend in publishing, I entered it into the Book Doctors' 2014 NaNoWriMo Pitchapalooza. The Random Drawing gods smiled on me ... and my pitch got reviewed!

Funnily, they misspelled "Egyptian" in their pitch about pitches. You can take the editor out of the jungle ....

Basically, they want more voice. Of course, this suggestion means that I should look for more voice everywhere throughout my novel. All 105,000 words of it. That's cool. I can do voice. Once I figure out what "voice" really means here.

What does voice mean in historical fiction? My intuition is that there's a practical limit to interpreting "voice" as "authenticity." It would be impossible to read writing that accurately reflected the 13th century. If you ever read work from the period, you know what I mean. So that can't be it.

While reading A Deadly Injustice, which I ended up enjoying quite a bit, at first I was taken aback by what I viewed as too much character voice. And I'm going for something simpler than HHhH, which was, in a word, formidable (in two words: formidably awesome). The characters in Phillippa Gregory's books have very different voices, for example Margaret Beaufort's voice is much different from that of Elizabeth Woodville, but I'm not sure what that means about Gregory's voice as the writer.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about voice in historical fiction - post away in the comments! And it looks like I have a new angle for Internet research!

While I'm sorting all this out, won't you please go vote for my pitch? Through March 31, just click on the little radio button next to Tiffany Vora and then submit your vote! The fan winner gets a one-hour consultation with the Book Doctors. Your vote says, "I want to read A Tree of Pearls and I want it to be awesome!" Or, "You know, I think Tiffany could really use some help on her novel-writing journey!"

Don't forget to vote from your mobile devices too!

And thank you so much for supporting me! And Shajar!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pitch and writing, sounds like a page-turner. My interpretation of their "voice" comment: use unique combinations of words in place of common or trite phrases. E.g., "hunky chum" in place of "dashing confidante"...but better.

    ReplyDelete